Skip to content ↓
All Saints C of E Primary School

All Saints C of E Primary School

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities School Offer

All H&F, K&C and Westminster maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

Who are the best people to talk about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Needs or Disability (SEND) 

Your child's Class teacher
Responsible for:

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Inclusion  Manager know as necessary.

Personalised Learning Plans (PLP) and sharing and reviewing these with parents once a term and planning for the next term.

Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with SEND.

The Inclusion Manager – Mrs Anna Spence
Responsible for:

Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

Ensuring that you are:

  • involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how they are doing

Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Head teacher
Responsible for:

The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

Delegating responsibility to the Inclusion Manager and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEND Governor  - Emily Richardson
Responsible for:

Monitoring and holding to account those responsible for implementation of SEND Policy.

Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in All Saints CE Primary School? 

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Manager or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.

Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children
Intervention groups may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Learning Support Assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Early Identification of SEND

This means a child has been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra/additional support in school. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

For your child this would mean:

  • He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy OR Occupational therapy groups

Identification of SEND
which means they have been identified by the class teacher and Inclusion Manager as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Language Impairment Service ( for students with a hearing or visual needs)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher in consultation with the  Inclusion Manager (or you will have raised your concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support

This is usually provided via  Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher and Inclusion Manager as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process, which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the SEND identification level.

After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an  EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEND identification level and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose  learning needs are:

Severe, complex and lifelong

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s  progress in school? 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher in the first instance.  A record of this meeting should be made available with clear agreed actions detailed.

Should you continue to be concerned that the measures put in place are not effective and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion Manager.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school? 

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have too
  • plan any additional support your child may receive
  •  discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

The school budget, received from the Tri-Borough LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

How is extra support allocated to children? 

The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

The Head Teacher and the Inclusion Manager discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEND in this school? 

Directly funded by the school:

  • A Learning Mentor
  • OT specialist LSA
  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service (Two visits per term)
  • Visual or hearing needs
  • Speech and Language Therapy for pupils with specificity in their EHCP.

Provided and paid for by the Health Service (NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • SALT under 5’s

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have? 

The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in school e.g from the ASD Outreach service.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND? 

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in   their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

Specially trained Learning Support Assistants can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child with SEND in school? 

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

His/her progress is reviewed formally every term.

If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are currently required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

Children identified with SEND may have a PSP which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The Inclusion  Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with an SEND? 

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

The Inclusion Manager is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

PSPs will be reviewed with your involvement each term.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Inclusion Meetings every term offer parents a support network within the school with guest speakers invited.

How is All Saints CE Primary School accessible to children with SEND? 

The ground floor of the main building and EYFS /KS1 department is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps.

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Historically we have moved classes who are in KS2 into the KS1 department making reasonable adjustments as necessary for a limited period.

How will we support your child with SEND at key transition times? 

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All PSPs  will be shared with the new teacher.
  • A Transition Plan may be  written in consultation with the pupil and parent that outlines the necessary preparation for a seamless transition.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The Inclusion Manager in consultation with the SENDCo/ Inclusion Manager from the receiving school will draw up a comprehensive Transition Plan which will include Transition meetings with all staff supporting the child at All Saints and accompanied visits with staff from All Saints to the receiving provision.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Provision Map - click here